Asiwaju S. K. Onafowokan, OON, FIoD, FSS
Asiwaju S.K. Onafowokan has a First Degree & Post Graduate Degree (M.B.A) from Kingston University, Surrey, United Kingdom. He majored in Finance. He attended several courses in Finance Administration, Industrial Relations and General Business Management between 1968 and 1980 in UK, INDIA & USA. i.e – Sundridge Park Management Centre in Kent, Essex, UK, Kishinchand CHELLARAM COLLEGE, BOMBAY, INDIA AND HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL USA, NECA/UNILAG RESIDENTIAL INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS MANAGEMENT COURSE.
Asiwaju S.K. Onafowokan is the Board Chairman to many organizations (both local and international) and is well known for his world class business management style which is synonymous to the success story of Sagamu Microfinance Bank Ltd today. Under his leadership as Board Chairman, the bank transformed from a Community to a Microfinance bank in 2008.
His investment in the bank, both financial and non-financial, as well as his dynamic management and leadership style saw the bank transform to a state MFB in early 2010. Asiwaju’s management and leadership style has become a point of reference in the Microfinance Sub-Sector and today, Sagamu Microfinance Bank Ltd is where it is, many thanks to the selfless leadership and management style of its Board Chair.
His other corporate services include the following
- ELECTED COUNCIL MEMBER LAGOS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE & INDUSTRY IN 1979
- GOVERNING COUNCIL MEMBER OF NECA (NIGERIAN EMPLOYERS CONSULTATIVE ASSOCIATION) 1982
- PAST CHAIRMAN DISTRIBUTIVE TRADE GROUP OF LAGOS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE & INDUSTRY
- PAST PRESIDENT OF SHOP/DISTRIBUTIVE EMPLOYERS ASSOCIATION OF NECA
- COUNCIL MEMBER OF APAPA MANUFACTURERS’ ASSOCIATION
- MEMBER OF NIGERIAN ECONOMIC SUMMIT GROUP (1996 – 2000)
- PRESIDENT AND CHAIRMAN OF COUNCIL OF LAGOS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE & INDUSTRY (2007-2009)
- MEMBER OF BRITISH INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT, MEMBER OF NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
- FELLOW OF THE BRITISH AND NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF DIRECTORS
- FELLOW OF THE FACULTY OF SCIENCE, OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY, AGO IWOYE
- FELLOW OF CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF TRANSPORT
- NATIONAL VICE-PRESIDENT OF NACCIMA (NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, INDUSTRY, MINES AND AGRICULTURE)